String trimmer and edger, both tools are used to make your pathways and lawn tidy. Those who want to keep their lawn and garden well-maintained, choosing the right tool can help them to make their task easy. Everybody wants to have beautiful lawns. With both of these tools, you can make the grass lush green and healthy throughout the year. These tools also help to limit your grass at a reasonable length.
But the differences between a string trimmer and an edger are being summed up here. Please go through the article to make a uniform decision before choosing one of the tools.
What is a String Trimmer
String trimmer is also known as weeds eater. It helps to make the edges of the lawn tidy. It helps to shape the grass with a spinning nylon string of the edge of the lawns. This device is run by the light-weight ionized lithium battery. You can use this versatile device anywhere in your house.
Types of string trimmer:
String trimmers are available in three main types-
- Corded electric string trimmer: This trimmer works on electricity. You need a good length cord to plug it in an outlet to make the device run. For the other type you just don’t need a cord, it runs on battery.
- Cordless electric string trimmer: This type is battery powered. They are less powerful. So, they cannot cut the grass more efficiently than the previous one.
- Gas-powered string trimmers: These types are the most powerful among the three. You can get these devices at a very reasonable price, along with the engine and fuel.
How String trimmer works:
String trimmer helps to cut the grass around the walls, light posts, and other parts where you cannot move your mower. Many models of string trimmers are available in the market with moving head options from a horizontal position to the vertical. This helps to make your task easier.
What is an edger:
Edger is also a gardening tool. It is used to cut both the grass and the turf to make your lawn clean. You can make a boundary line between the lawn and your sideways or driveways. With a vertical spinning blade, the edger cuts the grass’s undesirable length to give you a tidy lawn. It marks a separation line between the lane and the flowerbeds.
Types of edger:
There are two types of edgers available-
- Electric powered edger: You can get this type both as a corded and battery-powered model. But this type of edger is less expensive.
- Gasoline-powered edger: Gasoline edgers are more powerful than the previous one. You need not bear the hassle of an extension cord. With this powerful device, you can make your lawn professional and polished enough.
How does Edger work
The manual edger is equipped with a semi-circular spade to cut the turf from the lawn edges. Simultaneously, the powered edges are enabled with a rotating metal blade with the spinning function. Wheels are attached at the bottom of this device to move the machine easily along the pathways.
If you want to landscape your property, edger will be the perfect option to go with. With the edger, you can make a clear finishing line between the grass and concrete. With the sharp metal blade, it cuts even the tough roots and smaller branches. These devices are heavy-weight and sturdy enough. Although the edgers are a little expensive, they can make your lawn aesthetic.
String Trimmer vs. Edger: Basic Differences
Though both are gardening tools, there are certain differences between these two-
- A lawn edger can make a boundary, while a string trimmer helps to maintain that boundary.
- A lawn edger cuts the turf thoroughly to create a neat and clean edge of the lawn. Whereas, a string trimmer cuts the organic material, like- the grass overcrowding in the lawn.
- You can move the string trimmers vertically to reach the edges of the boundaries while edges are sturdier and can give you the clean edge in the yard.
Now, you understand that you need both the machines to make a substantial edging. Both of these tools are manufactured to achieve different success in lawn care. So, we can comprehend that both tools are a complement to each other.